Cairo - Egypt has rejected an offer by Qatar to mediate
with the banned Muslim Brotherhood group, focus of a government crackdown since
the ouster of Egypt's Islamist president in 2013.
Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Ahmed Abu-Zeid said on Sunday
that Egypt does not accept any external interference in its internal affairs,
underlining that authorities have declared the Brotherhood a terrorist organisation.
Speaking by telephone, he says that "any third-party
intervention or mediation is not acceptable”.
Qatari Foreign Minister Khalid bin Mohammed al-Attiyah
told Al-Araby al-Youm TV last week that Qatar is ready to act as a mediator
"to bring viewpoints closer”.
He added that Doha does not consider the Brotherhood to
be terrorists and sees their status with the government as "a political
dispute" that will delay the country's path forward.