Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Guinea opposition leaders want election scrapped

13 October 2015, 11:35

Conakry - All seven opposition leaders who contested Guinea's presidential election against incumbent Alpha Conde said on Monday the result should be annulled because of fraud.

Their declaration is likely to stoke tension in the West African country, which has a history of political violence, including at the 2010 election that brought Conde to power.

Conde, who rose to power in a military coup, is favoured to win a second term, although the result from Sunday's vote may be close enough to require a second round. Early results announced by radio stations so far showed Conde in the lead.

Also Read: Fraud widespread in vote, Guinea opposition alleges

The opposition candidates, including the main opposition leader, Cellou Dalein Diallo, told a news conference that there were numerous examples of fraud in the election.

Diallo said voters registered this year in the city of Labe in central Guinea received no voting cards and only those who voted in 2010 could cast their ballots on Sunday.

'We have the right to protest'

"The election was a masquerade which started yesterday and still continues today at the central [election] commission level. In these conditions, we again demand that the election be scrapped because we cannot recognise results issued through this process," Diallo said.

"We have the right to protest. We will do it. That must be clearly understood," he said, in a declaration that appeared to stop short of calling his supporters into the streets.

Two people were killed and at least 33 were wounded in Guinea on Friday in clashes between Conde and Diallo's supporters.

In another sign of opposition discontent, former prime minister Sidya Toure, one of the election's leading candidates, told private radio late on Monday that he was withdrawing any delegates he had won in the vote from the electoral process.

The UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon appealed in a statement for calm and urged all sides to refrain from making statements that could lead to violence.

Pro-democracy protesters

Conde's director of communication, Moustapha Naite, said the electoral commission should do its work.

"If the opposition parties have complaints, their duty is to legal means and inform the constitutional court," Naite said, referring to the country's highest electoral authority.

The International Organisation of the Francophonie, whose experts have been assisting the electoral commission since March, praised Sunday's vote but urged caution.

Also Read: Guinea opposition vow to dispute vote outcome

"What we saw yesterday was impressive. People turned out en masse in calm and serenity," Francophonie chief of mission Mohamed Salia Sokona told Reuters.

"It is one thing to go to the polls. Results are something else. We hope that this conduct prevails and that Guineans may show a sense of responsibility and democracy," he said.

Military officers seized power in a 2008 coup following the death of long-time ruler Lansana Conte. The next year, security forces killed more than 150 pro-democracy protesters who had rallied at a stadium in the capital and raped dozens of women.

Conde was elected in 2010 in Guinea's first democratic handover of power since independence from France in 1958.

- Reuters


Read more from our Users

Nigeria @ 56: Words to my green f...

A leader’s job is not to dictate, but rather to be respected, admired and be a trustee, of the land we love, with so much potential, a land which should be freer than free. Its still a long way to fufilling our destiny! Read more...

Submitted by
Isaac Asabor263
Recession: An opportunity for Nig...

The recession should be seen as an opportunity for the country’s promotion as long as we all collectively conduct ourselves in a patriotic manner, writes Isaac Asabor.  Read more...

Submitted by
Black and White

We want to imitate the whites in everything because we are ignorant of our inherent originality and content. We spend all our Naira to acquire his inventions because we so oblivious of our natural endowments that we allow him have it for free. Read more...

Submitted by
Nate Nat
Adamawa State University Mubi: A ...

ADSU integrity forum has accused the Sunday Joshua Wugira, a lawyer, of adopting unorthodox tactics by abusing his privilege by attacking the integrity of ADSU Vice Chancellor Dr. Moses Zira Zaruwa, writes a News24 reader. Read more...

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
My Country Nigeria (Part One)

Poetry by Abdulsalam Jubril.

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
Recession, dearth in leadership a...

Every leader has the opportunity to become great and making himself immortal in the lives and hearts of people for generations to come. Will Mr. President seize this opportunity?, questions Abdulsalam Jubril. Read more...