Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Guinea’s Conde on course for first-round win in disputed vote

16 October 2015, 08:47

Conakry - Guinean leader Alpha Conde was on track to win re-election in the first round of the country's contested presidential election, partial results showed Thursday, as his main rival said he was pulling out of the poll "farce".

The opposition has said that Sunday's vote, only the second democratic presidential poll since Guinea gained independence from France in 1958, was marred by widespread fraud and mismanagement, and demanded a re-run.

Preliminary results from the vast majority of the ballots cast showed Conde ahead of main rival Cellou Dalein Diallo with the six other candidates trailing behind, the Independent National Electoral Commission (CENI) said.

Announcing the results from 21 of the country's 33 prefectures, the commission said Conde had garnered some 1.95 million votes, compared to around 880 000 for Diallo.

Conde would need around 2.25 million votes to win an absolute majority and make good on his campaign pledge to deliver a "KO blow" to the opposition by sealing a first-round victory.

Final tally

The final tally incorporating results from the last remaining polling stations, including areas in the capital seen as opposition strongholds, was expected to be announced late Friday.

Turnout in the election was high, with almost 75% of the country's six million voters casting their ballot, according to the electoral commission.

Also read: Guinea's opposition leader Diallo exits poll

Diallo pulled out of the election on Wednesday, with his spokesperson Aboubacar Sylla saying the former prime minister would "put an end to his participation in the current electoral process", dismissing it as "an election farce".

His party would "use all legal means, including peaceful demonstrations... to protest against the denial of democracy and justice for which the current authorities are to blame", Sylla said.

It was not immediately clear what Diallo's withdrawal would mean if the election goes to a second round run-off.

Diallo himself had earlier dubbed the vote "a masquerade, a massive fraud throughout the day".

The election has raised tensions in the west African country, with around a dozen people killed in clashes between the two main rival camps ahead of the October 11 vote.

The country's first free presidential vote in 2010, won by Conde, 77, in a run-off against Diallo, 63, was also tainted by accusations of fraud and violence, as were legislative polls three years later.

EU critical

The head of the European Union observer mission team Frank Engel said his team would remain in Guinea "until the definitive conclusion of the electoral process, including possible challenges."

The EU team criticised the electoral commission for poor organisation and "lack of preparation".

Fearing more turmoil in the country, International Criminal Court prosecutor Fatou Bensouda has said she was following the situation "closely" and warned that anyone encouraging crimes could face prosecution.

"Anyone who commits, orders, incites, encourages or contributes in any other way to the commission of atrocity crimes falling within the jurisdiction of the ICC is liable to prosecution either in Guinea or at the Court in The Hague," she said in a statement.

Guinea's Foreign Minister Francois Lounceny Fall meanwhile told diplomats that the government was "concerned about demonstrations and statements that we believe could threaten social peace."

Conde spent nearly three decades in exile in France, where he led opposition to Guinea's dictatorial first president Ahmed Sekou Toure.

The founder of the Rally of Guinean People (RPG) spent several months in jail under the regime of Sekou Toure's military successor Lansana Conte.



Read more from our Users

Nigeria @ 56: Words to my green f...

A leader’s job is not to dictate, but rather to be respected, admired and be a trustee, of the land we love, with so much potential, a land which should be freer than free. Its still a long way to fufilling our destiny! Read more...

Submitted by
Isaac Asabor263
Recession: An opportunity for Nig...

The recession should be seen as an opportunity for the country’s promotion as long as we all collectively conduct ourselves in a patriotic manner, writes Isaac Asabor.  Read more...

Submitted by
Black and White

We want to imitate the whites in everything because we are ignorant of our inherent originality and content. We spend all our Naira to acquire his inventions because we so oblivious of our natural endowments that we allow him have it for free. Read more...

Submitted by
Nate Nat
Adamawa State University Mubi: A ...

ADSU integrity forum has accused the Sunday Joshua Wugira, a lawyer, of adopting unorthodox tactics by abusing his privilege by attacking the integrity of ADSU Vice Chancellor Dr. Moses Zira Zaruwa, writes a News24 reader. Read more...

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
My Country Nigeria (Part One)

Poetry by Abdulsalam Jubril.

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
Recession, dearth in leadership a...

Every leader has the opportunity to become great and making himself immortal in the lives and hearts of people for generations to come. Will Mr. President seize this opportunity?, questions Abdulsalam Jubril. Read more...