Mumbai - India
marked the fifth anniversary of the Mumbai attacks on Tuesday with memorial
services and prayers to honour the 166 people killed in the three-day assault
by Pakistani militants.
government ministers laid wreaths at a memorial in south Mumbai dedicated to
police and security forces killed trying to stop the Islamist gunmen during 60
hours of carnage.
arrived by sea on the evening of 26 November, carrying out a massacre at
hotels, a railway station, cafe and Jewish centre as terrified civilians tried
to escape the bloodbath.
television footage was shown around the world as commandos battled with the
gunmen, before authorities finally regained full control of the city three days
later. About 300 people were injured.
Rotawan was 10 years old when she was shot in the leg as the militants roamed
Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminal firing indiscrimately at people.
life was peaceful before the attacks... it is not the same now. Though my leg
has recovered, it still pains when I run or walk for a long time," Rotawan
memories of the attacks as still fresh... each time I go to the CST station, I
turns 15 next month and wants to join the police force after finishing school,
marked the day by praying for peace for her family and her city.
New book on
state's chief minister, Prithviraj Chavan, and top police officers laid floral
tributes at the memorial along Mumbai's Marine Drive - just a short distance
from the spot where the then sole surviving gunman was captured.
national Mohammed Ajmal Kasab, was hanged last November after a lengthy trial
for his role in the attacks.
Delhi and Washington blame the attacks on the Pakistan-based militant group
security was strengthened at the places which came under siege, including the
landmark Taj Mahal Palace hotel which will hold its own private memorial
service later in the day.
On the eve
of the anniversary, the author of an acclaimed new book on the tragedy warned
that India failed to learn the lessons from the assault.
whose book "The Siege" highlights striking failures in Indian
authorities' response to the attacks, said he feared security had barely
improved since then.
Hindustan Times newspaper also questioned the city's security and pointed to
still "fraught" ties with Pakistan despite efforts to improve
relations between the two rival neighbours.
remain about our ability to respond in the face of another attack"
particularly to protect the long city's coastline from a terror attack, the
newspaper said in an editorial.
pressed Pakistan to bring the alleged masterminds of the attacks to justice.
Pakistan charged seven men in 2009 over the attacks and has started a trial
there, but says it needs to gather more evidence before proceeding further.
was a key witness in the trial against Kasab, said: "I have seen no change
in the past five years. The government is not capable of preventing further