London - Northern Ireland police on Thursday charged a 43-year-old man with the murders of 29 people in the 1998 Omagh bombing, the worst single atrocity of the Troubles.
"Detectives from Serious Crime Branch investigating the 1998 Omagh bombing have charged a 43-year-old man with the murders of the 29 people who died in the explosion and a number of other offences," said a Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) statement.
British media, including the BBC, named the man as the senior republican figure Seamus Daly, from Culloville, County Monaghan.
He was arrested in the city of Newry area on Monday, and charged at Antrim police station late on Thursday.
"He faces 29 murder charges relating to the blast on 15 August 1998, two charges in relation to the Omagh explosion and two charges in relation to an attempted explosion in Lisburn in April 1998 - a total of 33 charges," PSNI said.
He will appear at Dungannon Magistrates Court early on Friday.
A civil judge last year found Daly and another man liable for the bombing.
A judge at Belfast High Court ruled that Colm Murphy and Seamus Daly could be held responsible for the attack by the Real IRA, a paramilitary splinter group of the now-disbanded Irish Republican Army.