Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Man confesses to strangling missing NY boy

25 May 2012, 13:49

 New York - A man has confessed to strangling to death a boy who vanished on his way to school in 1979 - a haunting case that terrified parents across America and baffled police for three decades, New York police chief Ray Kelly said on Thursday.

The disappearance of Etan Patz was so shocking that he instantly became a symbol for growing fears over the safety of children playing outside the home.

He was the first of many missing children to have his face pictured on milk cartons with an appeal for information. The date of his disappearance, 25 May, became known as National Missing Children's Day.

A man identified as Pedro Hernandez "confessed to choking Etan 33 years ago tomorrow [Friday] in a basement" of a Manhattan grocery store where he worked, Kelly told a news conference.

The confession was a stunning breakthrough in a cold case that had defied the efforts of one of the country's most sophisticated city police departments and ushered in the modern era of anxious parenting.

Kelly said Hernandez confessed for three hours, then last night accompanied New York Police Department detectives to the scene of the crime, which was a grocery store, or bodega, at the time, and which now sells eyeglasses.

Married with a child

He told investigators that he used "the promise of a soda" to lure away Patz, who was six-years-old and taking the school bus alone for the first time.

"He then led him into the basement of the bodega, choked him there and disposed of the body by placing him in a plastic bag and placing it in the trash."

According to Kelly, Hernandez is married with a teenage daughter. He is a US citizen, with no criminal record, and has not previously been a suspect in the high-profile investigation. No motive has been established.

Police were led to the man by a tip that followed a sudden reactivation of the search, with police and FBI agents digging up a different basement in Manhattan last month.

"The individual came forward because of the recent notoriety of the case," Kelly said.

After evading the authorities for more than three decades, Hernandez apparently became guilt-ridden.

Suspect relieved

He "told family and others that he had 'done a bad thing and killed a child in New York'", Kelly said. Detectives who interviewed Hernandez thought "he was remorseful".

The confessed murderer appeared "to think it was a feeling of relief", Kelly said.

Hernandez was initially charged with second degree murder and now the Manhattan district attorney will decide how to proceed.

Patz's parents have been informed, Kelly said, adding he hoped the development would "bring some measure of peace". However, he did not expect that the remains of the boy would ever be found.

"It's unlikely, very unlikely," he said.

The original investigation gripped New York and the nation, with police searching around Patz's home neighbourhood of SoHo in Manhattan and plastering "missing" posters showing the happy-faced boy with slightly gapped teeth and straight, sandy-coloured hair.

False leads

Memories of the murder never entirely faded in New York and they were brought back abruptly during the intense search operation launched in a basement last month near the apartment in SoHo.

The search by teams of FBI and NYPD officers, conducted amid a huge media presence, ended with no announcements about any important discoveries, though debris from the excavation of the basement was removed for forensic analysis.

The longtime main suspect, a convicted child abuser named Jose Ramos, was never charged. He denied involvement.

At the time of the search last month, attention turned to another apparently false lead - a carpenter who had used the basement.


Tags murder

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Nigeria @ 56: Words to my green f...

A leader’s job is not to dictate, but rather to be respected, admired and be a trustee, of the land we love, with so much potential, a land which should be freer than free. Its still a long way to fufilling our destiny! Read more...

Submitted by
Isaac Asabor263
Recession: An opportunity for Nig...

The recession should be seen as an opportunity for the country’s promotion as long as we all collectively conduct ourselves in a patriotic manner, writes Isaac Asabor.  Read more...

Submitted by
Black and White

We want to imitate the whites in everything because we are ignorant of our inherent originality and content. We spend all our Naira to acquire his inventions because we so oblivious of our natural endowments that we allow him have it for free. Read more...

Submitted by
Nate Nat
Adamawa State University Mubi: A ...

ADSU integrity forum has accused the Sunday Joshua Wugira, a lawyer, of adopting unorthodox tactics by abusing his privilege by attacking the integrity of ADSU Vice Chancellor Dr. Moses Zira Zaruwa, writes a News24 reader. Read more...

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
My Country Nigeria (Part One)

Poetry by Abdulsalam Jubril.

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
Recession, dearth in leadership a...

Every leader has the opportunity to become great and making himself immortal in the lives and hearts of people for generations to come. Will Mr. President seize this opportunity?, questions Abdulsalam Jubril. Read more...