Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


No charges for UK comedian after probe

07 May 2014, 07:46

London - British comedian Freddie Starr was told on Tuesday he will face no charges stemming from a mammoth probe into historic sex offences, after spending 18 months on police bail.

The 71-year-old was first arrested in November 2012 by detectives from Scotland Yard's Operation Yewtree, set up following the Jimmy Savile scandal.

The revelation in 2012 that the late BBC presenter Savile - a household name in Britain in the 1970s and 1980s - had been a serial sex offender for decades prompted a round of arrests of leading figures in the entertainment industry from that period.

"Having carefully reviewed this case, we have decided that there is insufficient evidence to prosecute Freddie Starr in relation to allegations of sexual offences made by 13 individuals," said Baljit Ubhey of the Crown Prosecution Service.

He said there was therefore no realistic prospect of conviction.

Although there was sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction in relation to one further complainant, a prosecution in this case "would not be in the public interest", Ubhey said.

He stressed that did not mean Starr should be considered guilty - a matter solely for courts and juries.

"The complainants have been informed and we will be writing to them to more fully explain our decision," he said.

Starr's lawyer claimed last month that there had been a "flagrant breach" of the comic's human rights due to the time it was taking to come to a charging decision.

Celebrity publicist Max Clifford, another high-profile figure investigated by Operation Yewtree, was jailed last week for eight years for a series of indecent assaults on teenagers.

Clifford gave the green light to The Sun tabloid's infamous 1986 story headlined "Freddie Starr ate my hamster". It made a 2006 BBC shortlist of the 20th century's most memorable newspaper front pages.

The entertainer has always denied putting the rodent in a sandwich and eating it.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Nigeria @ 56: Words to my green f...

A leader’s job is not to dictate, but rather to be respected, admired and be a trustee, of the land we love, with so much potential, a land which should be freer than free. Its still a long way to fufilling our destiny! Read more...

Submitted by
Isaac Asabor263
Recession: An opportunity for Nig...

The recession should be seen as an opportunity for the country’s promotion as long as we all collectively conduct ourselves in a patriotic manner, writes Isaac Asabor.  Read more...

Submitted by
Black and White

We want to imitate the whites in everything because we are ignorant of our inherent originality and content. We spend all our Naira to acquire his inventions because we so oblivious of our natural endowments that we allow him have it for free. Read more...

Submitted by
Nate Nat
Adamawa State University Mubi: A ...

ADSU integrity forum has accused the Sunday Joshua Wugira, a lawyer, of adopting unorthodox tactics by abusing his privilege by attacking the integrity of ADSU Vice Chancellor Dr. Moses Zira Zaruwa, writes a News24 reader. Read more...

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
My Country Nigeria (Part One)

Poetry by Abdulsalam Jubril.

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
Recession, dearth in leadership a...

Every leader has the opportunity to become great and making himself immortal in the lives and hearts of people for generations to come. Will Mr. President seize this opportunity?, questions Abdulsalam Jubril. Read more...