Seoul - Two people died in South Korea of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, and three others were diagnosed, officials said on Monday.
The latest cases, which included a 97-year-old man being treated for cancer, brought the death toll to 27 in the recent outbreak, and the total number of confirmed cases to 169, Yonhap News Agency reported.
The latest cases were already being monitored because the patients had had close contacts with other MERS cases, the Ministry of Health and Welfare was quoted as saying.
Also Read: MERS poses risk to South Korean economy
The number of people in isolation after suspected exposure fell on Monday to 3 833 from 4 035, the report said. Around 9 300 people have been held and released after the 14-day incubation period since the outbreak started a month ago.
The fatality rate, which was around 40% in the Middle East where the virus was originally identified three years ago, has crept up from under 10% to the current level of 14% in South Korea, figures from the Ministry of Health and Welfare showed last week.
South Korea is dealing with the biggest outbreak of the disease outside the Middle East, almost entirely centred on hospitals.