Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


US church to release list of sex offenders

08 January 2013, 15:06

Los Angeles - The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles must release the names of church leaders and paedophile priests identified in thousands of pages of internal documents recounting sexual abuse allegations dating back decades, a judge ruled on Monday.

The decision by California Superior Court Judge Emilie Elias overturned much of a 2011 order by another judge that would have allowed the archdiocese to black out the names of church higher-ups. Victims, as well as AP and Los Angeles Times, argued for the names to be public.

Elias said she weighed the privacy rights of priests and others - including those who are mentioned in the documents but were not accused of any wrongdoing - against the public's interest in learning details of the child abuse that prompted the archdiocese to agree to a record $660m settlement with victims in 2007.

"Don't they have the right to know what happened in their local church?" Elias said before ruling from the bench.

The documents include letters and memos between top church officials and their attorneys, medical and psychological records, complaints from parents and, in some cases, correspondence with the Vatican about abusive priests. There are approximately 30 000 pages and it wasn't immediately clear how soon they would be released.

Elias stipulated that some redactions of people who played no major role would be allowed, and attorneys for the plaintiffs and church were discussing how to do so.

The sexual abuse scandal within the Catholic Church has played out in many dioceses around America, with victims receiving huge settlements.

Files released in other places, such as Boston, have shown the church shuffled predator priests among parishes without calling police.

Releasing documents

Both plaintiffs' and church attorneys said on Monday they want the documents released as soon as possible.

"Our client's objective is to get this over with," church attorney Michael Hennigan said.

Attorneys for the archdiocese previously said they planned to make the confidential files public by the middle of this month with the names of the church hierarchy blacked out. A set of documents with the redactions already was prepared and Hennigan said it's not clear how long it will take to produce a new set with far fewer redactions.

"We have to see how big this mountain is," he said outside of court.

Plaintiffs' lawyer Ray Boucher believes it should take less than a month. He said the names revealed in the documents could range from priests at local churches to those in the Vatican.

Hennigan said recently retired Cardinal Roger Mahony doesn't object to having his name appear when the files are released.

"This is a very important and significant step," Boucher said. "Clearly my preference would be that the files not be redacted and the full files be released. But I understand there's a need to get out these files as soon as possible."

The 2007 settlement stipulated that personnel files would be made public, but more than 20 accused priests went to court to block the release, arguing that making their files public would violate their privacy rights.

In 2011, Judge Dickran Tevrizian ruled the documents could be heavily redacted. He said the release of the files should not be used to "embarrass or to ridicule the church".

He said the public could figure out which church leaders were responsible for how molesting priests were handled by matching the documents' date and location with a roster of the archdiocese staff at the time.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Cfleaf Cleaf
Acting ADSU VC suspends collectio...

The Acting Vice Chancellor of the Adamawa State University, Mubi, said that the University Senate under his administration has suspended the N1000 fees slammed on students for Entrepreneurship Programme. Read more...

Submitted by
Samson Chinedu Nwafor
Ebonyi Militants invasion: IGP or...

The Inspector General of Police, (IGP) Solomon Arase has ordered the deployment of armored boats to riverine areas in the boundary of Ebonyi and Cross River States to checkmate activities of hoodlums. Read more...

Submitted by
Peregrino Brimah
Buhari must investigate the Turke...

A senior adviser to Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan discussed shipments of weapons to Nigeria with the 50% government owned national Turkish airline, according to the leaked conversation. Read more...

Submitted by
Samson Chinedu Nwafor
Ebonyi govt budgets N3bn to rehab...

Ebonyi state government said it has budgeted three billion naira for the rehabilitation of natives of the state who are hawking in major cities across the country. Read more...

Submitted by
Samson Chinedu Nwafor
Pro-Biafra agitators reject South...

MASSOB, one of the Biafra secessionist groups on Wednesday rejected the Southeast Governors' resolutions arguing that they did not address the major issue behind their agitation.  Read more...

Submitted by
Don Tommy
Nnamdi Kanu - Beyond the propagan...

For anyone following events in Nigeria today, some of the things easily heard are Nnamdi Kanu and Radio Biafra was preaching hate but not too many take time to look at the message in detail. Read more...