Cape Town - A 23-year-old US man has publicly announced his support for Norwegian self-confessed mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik, according to reports on Thursday.
In an interview with Norway's VGTV, Kevin Forts, who says he first made contact with Breivik's legal team in February, said he believed the twin attacks in Oslo and on Utoya Island demonstrated "a sense of nationalism and a moral conscience".
"He's fighting against cultural Marxism and the Islamisation of Norway and he found that the most rational way to accomplish that was through terrorist actions on Utoya and in Oslo."
According to a Hypervocal report, Forts claims he has received at least one response from Breivik himself.
"I have received letters from supporters in 20 countries, but you appear to be someone who can write well. Yes, I am absolutely interested in discussing ideological issues with you and am thinking about how we can work together," Breivik reportedly wrote to Forts.
On 22 July last year Breivik, who is currently on trial, killed eight people in a bomb attack in Oslo before heading out to Utoya Island where the youth wing of the labour party was gathered and systematically shot at the young people for more than an hour. Sixty-nine people died. The youngest victim was 14.
Responding to the interviewer's questions about the killing of children, Forts replied that "it was a necessary political sacrifice that is not necessary again".
In the video, the Massachusetts native said it was important that the world look at Breivik's "political platform rather than his atrocious actions".
"All you see is the shock, all you see is the gore on Utoya and in Oslo, but you do not see the actual political ramifications that we'll come to in the future. And I believe at that point it will be impossible to hate Breivik and you will see that he was actually acting in a manner of pre-emptive war. "
On Thursday, Norway deported a German woman who claimed to have been a lover of Breivik and had been attending his court appearances.
Meanwhile, AFP reported that Breivik took the stand on Friday to describe in detail his shooting massacre on the island last year, in what his lawyer warned would be the most difficult testimony to hear.
On Thursday, the 33-year-old right-wing extremist had many in the Oslo district court in tears as he detailed how he set off a car bomb at the foot of a government building on 22 July, killing eight people.
He also described how he had wanted to kill everybody in the building, including the entire Norwegian government.
His lawyer Geir Lippestad however warned after the end of the trial day on Thursday that "tomorrow will probably be the hardest day".
Breivik told the court on Thursday that he had also intended to kill all 569 people on Utoya Island when he carried out his shooting massacre the same day.
On Friday, he is set to describe in detail how he killed each of the 69 people on the island.
As the trial day began, main judge Wenche Elizabeth Arntzen reminded survivors and family members of the victims that they were allowed to leave the courtroom if they felt they needed to do so.
Breivik, charged with "acts of terror", has entered a plea of not guilty, saying his actions were "cruel but necessary".