Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Warning of 'devastating' toll in South Sudan war

24 July 2015, 06:52

Juba - UN aid chief Stephen O'Brien warned on Thursday of the "devastating" toll on the people of South Sudan of 19 months of a civil war marked by atrocities.

O'Brien is on a four-day visit to South Sudan to see "first-hand the humanitarian consequences of the conflict, and efforts by aid organizations to respond to escalating needs," according to a UN statement.

"The food security situation is alarming," the statement added. "Nearly 70% of the country's population - 7.9 million out of 11.6 million people - are expected to face food insecurity this rainy season".

Also Read: South Sudan army crushed civilians under tanks

O'Brien, the UN Under Secretary General for Humanitarian Affairs, met with some of the 166 000 civilians crammed into UN peacekeeping bases for fear of attack, in many cases since the war began in December 2013.

"From speaking to communities displaced in Juba, it's clear the brutal war has taken a devastating toll," he said, after touring the camp in Juba where aid workers are struggling to stamp out a cholera outbreak that has killed at least 39 people.

South Sudan's civil war began in December 2013 when President Salva Kiir accused his former deputy Riek Machar of plotting a coup, setting off a cycle of retaliatory killings that has split the poverty-stricken, landlocked country along ethnic lines.

Tens of thousands have died in the war, according to the UN, but no official death toll has been kept.

Fresh peace push

Peace talks, led by the eight-nation East African IGAD bloc, have been going on in Ethiopia almost as long as the war, resulting in at least seven failed agreements and ceasefires, all broken within days or even hours.

Mediators on Thursday gave them an August 17 deadline to sign a deal, the latest in a string of ultimatums issued since the conflict started.

A new proposal to set up an "inclusive transitional government" was adopted on Thursday by mediators, even though many of the points on power sharing had been previously rejected by both sides.

"This is a comprehensive and final agreement that addresses all the problems of South Sudan that led to this crisis: the governance, the management of the economy, the security sector and the power sharing," chief mediator Seyoum Mesfin said.

The war has forced 2.2 million people to flee their homes, with over 600 000 of those now refugees in the neighbouring nations of Ethiopia, Kenya, Sudan and Uganda.

O'Brien is due to visit the UN base in Bentiu, capital of the northern battleground state of Unity, where over 100 000 civilians are sheltering inside a camp, more than live in the destroyed town itself.

'Inhumane conditions'

Both the government and rebels are accused of carrying out atrocities, including gang rape, burning people alive and the recruitment of large numbers of child soldiers.

Aid agencies including Doctors Without Borders (MSF) have warned of restricted access to some of hardest hit areas, including to the northeastern battleground state of Upper Nile.

The army denied on Thursday it had blockaded boats travelling on the Nile River - the main route for aid into the northern areas, including large areas under rebel control - but said ships were coming under attack.

Also Read: George Clooney launches project to 'end war in Africa'

"Rebels are using motor boats to attack...so for the sake of security they are advised to wait," army spokesperson Philip Aguer said. "There is no closure of the river transport, but it is advice."

But aid workers said they were struggling to get key supplies in.

"MSF is deeply concerned about the continued denial of access for aid organisations to conflict areas and other remote areas," it said in a statement.

"People are being exposed to continual violence, increased displacement, fear of attacks, disease outbreaks and the risk of starvation," MSF added, warning of "inhumane conditions".



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Nigeria @ 56: Words to my green f...

A leader’s job is not to dictate, but rather to be respected, admired and be a trustee, of the land we love, with so much potential, a land which should be freer than free. Its still a long way to fufilling our destiny! Read more...

Submitted by
Isaac Asabor263
Recession: An opportunity for Nig...

The recession should be seen as an opportunity for the country’s promotion as long as we all collectively conduct ourselves in a patriotic manner, writes Isaac Asabor.  Read more...

Submitted by
Black and White

We want to imitate the whites in everything because we are ignorant of our inherent originality and content. We spend all our Naira to acquire his inventions because we so oblivious of our natural endowments that we allow him have it for free. Read more...

Submitted by
Nate Nat
Adamawa State University Mubi: A ...

ADSU integrity forum has accused the Sunday Joshua Wugira, a lawyer, of adopting unorthodox tactics by abusing his privilege by attacking the integrity of ADSU Vice Chancellor Dr. Moses Zira Zaruwa, writes a News24 reader. Read more...

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
My Country Nigeria (Part One)

Poetry by Abdulsalam Jubril.

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
Recession, dearth in leadership a...

Every leader has the opportunity to become great and making himself immortal in the lives and hearts of people for generations to come. Will Mr. President seize this opportunity?, questions Abdulsalam Jubril. Read more...