Kigali - Two Rwandans deported from Zambia to Kigali last week have been freed without charge, state prosectors told a newspaper Thursday, dismissing reports they had been brought home to face genocide charges.
The two are Egibe Rwasibo, who works as a medical officer at the University Teaching Hospital in Lusaka, and businessman Innocent Habumugisha, who ran shops in Zambia.
"They don't have a genocide case that we know of... as of now, they are free men," Faustin Nkusi, spokesman for Rwanda's National Public Prosecution Authority, told the New Times newspaper.
Also Read: Zambia deports two Rwandan 'genocide' suspects
"They were deported for immigration reasons."
Speaking to AFP on Monday, the suspects' lawyer had said Zambian officials told one of the pair he was being deported because "he was involved in genocide and wanted back home".
Zambia's immigration department had confirmed their deportation but denied links to genocide, saying their presence in the country was "a danger to good order and peace".
Rwanda's 1994 genocide saw around 800,000 people -- mostly members of the minority Tutsi community -- slaughtered in a 100-days of violence, largely by ethnic Hutus.