Nairobi - The Kenyan government is set to demolish 226 buildings that have breached construction regulations in Nairobi, reports said on Friday.
This came following the collapse of a six-storey building in Huruma Estate on Friday last week, where at least 40 people were confirmed dead.
The demolition was expected to kick off on Friday, with the majority of the buildings being in low income areas.
According to the Daily Nation, 70 of the buildings earmarked for demolition were in Huruma.
Nineteen others were in Hazina and were allegedly developed by the National Social Security Fund (NSSF), a government agency.
The rest were in Zimmerman, Marurui, Githurai, Roysambu, Kahawa West, Umoja, Dagoretti and South B estates.
The Nairobi County governor last week confirmed that most city dwellers were living in unapproved buildings.
Through a statement, the governor said: "An estimated 60% of city dwellers live in unapproved buildings."