Harare - Zimbabwe's former freedom fighters have lambasted the planned "million-man march" organised by ruling Zanu-PF youths, describing it as being insincere, ill-timed and an unwarranted abuse of scarce resources, a report said on Wednesday.
According to NewsDay, the Zimbabwe National Liberation War Veterans’ Association (ZNLWVA) spokesperson Douglas Mahiya, claimed that the Zanu-PF youths had failed to acknowledge the real challenges that the country was facing.
He said the youths had no political consciousness, thus, organising a march that would not revive the country’s industries and bring food on the table of million Zimbabweans was a complete waste of time.
“There is no sincerity in the million-man march. There is no political consciousness. It will not revive industry or bring food on the table. They should, instead, find out from us the formula we used to bring independence. A million-man march, then what?” Mahiya was cited saying.
According to the Daily News, the war veterans said that they would not be participating in the march, as they had not been properly informed.
However, according to Kudzai Chipanga, National Deputy Secretary of the youth, the march would function as a show of support for President Robert Mugabe who recently confirmed that he would be contesting the 2018 elections, health permitting, News 24 reported.
The march was slated to coincide with Africa Day on May 25.
Mugabe was set to be the guest of honour at the event, with Chipanga confirming that all supporters of the nonagenarian had been invited to attend.
- News 24