Harare – Zimbabwean ministers have allegedly ordered schools in the country to handover buses for the one million man march meant to show support for President Robert Mugabe, a report said on Wednesday.
Zanu-PF's national deputy secretary for the youth, Kudzai Chipanga, recently said that the march would function as a show of support for Mugabe, who recently confirmed that he would be contesting the 2018 elections, health permitting.
According to New Zimbabwe education Minister Lazarus Dokora, together with Energy minister Samuel Undenge, told local headmasters to surrender school buses so that they could be used to ferry party supporters to the march.
Mugabe was set to be the guest of honour at the event, with Chipanga confirming that all supporters of the nonagenarian had been invited to attend.
Dokora allegedly forced the headmasters into surrendering the school buses, while Undenge instructed them to make the buses available for the march, according to a Teachers and School Development Association.
A NewsDay report said, however, there was still uncertainty about Harare’s readiness in hosting an event of this magnitude, as the city was experiencing water shortages.
It also emerged that the ruling Zanu-PF party was still scrapping for resources on Tuesday.
The party would need at least 12 000 buses to ferry supporters to the event, with most provinces still uncertain on how they would ferry their members.
Local media reports indicated that the march would cost at least $600 000, with the bulk of the money coming out of the government's purse.
According to unnamed sources, the money was to be squeezed out of the ailing parastatals, private firms and the few remaining white commercial farmers.
- News 24